Apple just revamped its thinnest laptop with longer battery life Featured
The MacBook is getting an update, Apple announced on Tuesday. Here's what you need to know:
- The biggest changes to the 2016 MacBookare that it includes a new Intel processor, and it now comes in a "rose gold" color.
- The laptop starts at $1,299 for a configuration with a 2.2 GHz chip and 256GB of storage. You can also opt for a higher-end model with a faster chip and 512GB of storage for $1599.
- The MacBook is Apple's thinnest laptop — less powerful than the MacBook Pro, but thinner, lighter, and more expensive than the MacBook Air.
- Apple's MacBook only comes with one port: a single USB-C port that is used not only for charging the notebook, but also for data transferor adding an second monitor.
- The new MacBook will use a "sixth-generation" Intel Core M processor, which can deliver "turbo boost" speeds up to 3.1 GHz. The chips that Apple is using will alsosport improved graphics performance.
- Most importantly, the new chips will enable the 2016 MacBook to squeeze out 10 hours of wireless web browsing time, or 11 hours of movie playback.
Here are the important specs from Apple's website:
For the first time, the MacBook comes in a "rose gold" color finish, a metallic color that looks a lot like pink. Like before, the MacBook comes with a 12-inch 2304 by 1440 pixel screen, and weighs just over two pounds.
“MacBook is the thinnest and lightest Mac we have ever made and it’s our vision for the future of the notebook,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of marketing, said in a press release. “Customers are going to love this update to MacBook, with the latest processors, faster graphics, faster flash storage, longer battery life and a beautiful rose gold finish.”
Here are some images Apple provided: